Getting to the tropical island of Nusa Lembongan from Bali is quite easy using one of the many fast boats that leave from Sanur and they all take around 40 minutes.
Nusa Lembongan is a small island paradise located just a short boat ride from Bali. Nestled in the turquoise waters of the Bali Sea, this island is a haven for those seeking tranquility, beautiful sunsets and slow calm vibes.
Connected to Nusa Ceningan with a large yellow metal bridge (don’t forget to explore the Secret Beach on Nusa Ceningan), Nusa Lembongan is a perfect place to visit to escape the hustle and bustle of Bali.
Jungutbatu is one of the main areas with a plethora of vegan friendly food options. Mushroom Bay is another popular area with accommodation on the hillside overlooking the crystal blue water and Mt Agung volcano on Bali.
Keep on reading to find out how you can get to Nusa Lembongan from the newly built harbour in Sanur, Bali!
While you’re in Sanur, check out these DIY cycling routes for an independent tour of the beach path and the rice fields!
- If you are independently getting yourself to Sanur, please confirm with your boat company WHERE you need to meet them. Most of the companies DO NOT MEET AT SANUR HARBOUR (unless they have specifically told you to meet them there). You will make your way to their office a few minutes away on the road “Jl. Matahari Terbit”. Register and wait for everyone to arrive and then you’ll all walk together as a group to Sanur Harbour which is 200 metres away. I’ve added a map below. The green line is where all the fastboat offices are located and the yellow arrow will be where your group walks to the Harbour and onto the boat.
- Download WhatsApp as most hotels and boat companies in Indonesia will use that to communicate with you.
- All boat companies have tickets that cost extra where they can pick you up from your hotel and take you their office in Sanur.
- Take a morning boat or a late boat for a smoother ride.
- There are no toilets on the boats.
- Don’t wear socks and shoes. Wear thongs/flip flops/sandals that you can easily remove. You will need to take your shoes off when you arrive on Nusa Lembongan as the boats land on the beach.
- Rocky Fast Boat is the only boat that has a pier/landing on Nusa Lembongan so if you’re elderly or need a bit of extra assistance you could use them.
- Be careful about the broken shells and coral on the beach when you land on Nusa Lembongan. They can hurt if you have sensitive feet. Watch where you place your feet.
- You can see land the entire time on your journey.
- Ask your boat company if they do complimentary transfer to your hotel on Nusa Lembongan. You may have to pay 50,000 IDR to 100,000 IDR extra for transfer on Nusa Lembongan.
- In rough weather, boats can sometimes be cancelled. In July 2023, all boats were cancelled for 2 days because the sea was too rough. So don’t book a boat back to Bali if you need to take a flight on the same day.
- In May 2023, I paid 400,000 IDR return on D’Star and made my own way to their office in Sanur.
FAST BOAT OPTIONS TO NUSA LEMBONGAN
These are some popular fast boat transport options that leave from the newly built Sanur Harbour. There is currently no slow boat.
Dstars: This is the company I used. It was very easy to book online and the whole trip was smooth and comfortable.
Rocky Fast Boats: Very popular and is the only company with a pier/landing on Nusa Lembongan.
Other great fastboat options: DCamel, Scoot Fast Cruises, Arjuna Fast Cruise, Arthamas Express, Glory Fast Cruise, Tanis Fast Cruise, Marlin Fast Boat, Dream Beach Express
PRICE / COST OF FAST BOATS TO NUSA LEMBONGAN
Most fast boats are around the same price. These are the prices for the fast boat DStar that I used in May 2023
Return ticket with complimentary pickup from your accommodation in Sanur, Ubud, Kuta, Nusa Dua, Legian, Seminyak – 750,000 IDR ($73 AUD, $50 USD, $45 EUR)
Return ticket where you make your own way to the fast boat office near Sanur Harbour – 400,000 IDR ($39 AUD, $26 USD, $24 EUR)
WHERE DOES THE BOAT LAND / PICK YOU UP ON NUSA LEMBONGAN?
It will depend on the weather and the tides, as safety is number 1 priority. These are the areas on Nusa Lembongan where the boats will land and pick up.
Jungutbatu Area – DStars, DCamel, Scoot, Glory, Arthamas, Arjuna
Mushroom Bay – Dream Beach Express, Tanis Fast Cruise, Marlin Fast Boat
Eastern side of the island near the yellow bridge – Rocky Fast Cruise
When I sailed on an early morning boat with DStars, it dropped me off at the very northern end and around the corner of Jungutbatu beach. On Google Maps, it’s marked as “D Camel drop off”.
When I left the island to go back to Sanur, the boat sailed from the official DStars Lembongan office, at the very southern end of Jungutbatu beach.
Nusa Lembongan is one of the most beautiful islands to visit and is a great hidden gem of Indonesia. The cheapest way to get to Nusa Lembongan would be making your own way to Sanur and meeting your boat company at their office. If you’re arriving into Denpasar International Airport, stay in Sanur overnight, (grab some vegan food), then get the first boat over to the island. Have a wonderful time!